Dear Family:
Hey everyone sorry i wasn't able to email yesterday! The internet here at the mission home was down so we weren't able to use it yesterday! How is everything going? What's new? Anything fun or exciting happening?
So to start I have a couple of random questions that just popped into my mind this past week... first Is golf in the olympics this year? I remember before I came on my mission that there was talk flying around that this olympics it was going to be there. If so who is playing on the US team? How is it being played? Etc. Second is the new ZCMI mall downtown completed yet? I heard from an elder that it was and was shocked to hear that it was. If it is that is definitely going to be something new to see in 2 months.
So this past week we have continued to be busy going on splits a lot! We went three times this past week! We have really been working hard as we go on these splits to teach the missionaries how to work with members! We have also been working with the missionaries on improving their teaching skills. We have noticed that the missionaries are struggling in 4 main aspects: teaching for understanding, teaching people not lessons, asking inspired questions, and teaching by the spirit. So starting today Pres./Sis. Shulz, Elder Nzuki and I are going around having district meetings and helping to teach this points to the missionaries. Pres. and Sis. Shulz are giving instructions, and our job is to stop them during their instructions and point out to the elders and sisters how they are using these point in their teaching. Afterwards we also expound more on how we can improve on these areas. Today's was the first one and it went really well. We have a golden set up here in Ghana: everyone is willing to listen to you, we have good members who are starting to make the effort to help in missionary, and so now we as the missionaries need to be ready and be the most effective instruments in the hands of God that we can be. I have said this before, but this aspect is what I love about being a leader. I like to go on splits and instruct in meetings such as these to help each and every missionary to improve and reach their full potential. Seeing them succeed is what makes me to be happy. I have really come to know that this is how Heavenly Father is. He has given us His gospel, a prophet to lead and guide us, the standard works to chart the path, the Holy Ghost to be our guide, and when He sees us utilize all of these things and succeed, then He becomes happy. God's glory comes from that very principle.
We are having a big transfer coming up. On the 14 we will lose 5, and in Sept. we are gaining 16. So we are busy trying to figure out everything for that. That means lots of movement, and areas to be opened. We met with Pres. this past week and have been discussing it with him and helping him with transfers. We found out this past week what he is thinking about us. I will mostly likely be back out in the field to finish my mission. I am excited about this and know that this is where I am needed! I ready for this and look forward to working as hard as I can for these last few weeks. I will miss being here, my companion, and working this closely with the Shulz's but know that I am needed there. But this is what is most likely what is going to happen. Yesterday the Shulz's invited us and the Asay's over for dinner, and we had Fajita's and guacamole and cheesecake for dessert:) One thing that I am looking forward to as well with the change is having more time to study. I am excited to get back to studying and being able to write the things I have learned down. I have a lot written in my scriptures, like a lot, but I am going to write more in a journal! So that is going to be sweet!
One thing I have thought about a lot lately and have noticed is the change that has occurred in me. As I have reflected on my mission, as I help teach other missionaries, as I work with the Shulz's, etc. I have really seen the change that has occurred in me. I am becoming more and more who Heavenly Father wants and needs me to become! My testimony has grown so immensely, my knowledge of the gospel and understanding has been broadened and I know more than ever that the church is true. I have learned so much about life, about the things that are really important, the things that I really value most. I have seen my priorities change, my outlook on life change, my love for others change. I have changed! As I look at mission, at the real purpose and reason for a mission, it is for us. A mission is and MTC for life! The things we learn here will carry with us throughout our whole life. They way we are on mission, especially the way we finish, is the hinge upon which the rest of our life sways. The purpose of a mission is to be a refiner's fire, to cast of the dross that is in us, and refine us into something much more precious, something much more pure. The purpose of a mission is to help us look into the mirror, and instead of seeing ourselves, we begin to see the image of the Savior. A mission is to make us "like unto Him." I am so grateful for my mission, for all that I have learned thus far since I have been out. I am grateful to have 2 more months still so that I can learn more and continue to become more like our Savior. He is the only begotten of the Father! He is our Advocate!
I love you guys and am so grateful to have you in my life! You are all the best and appreciate all that you do! I love you!
Love your son and brother,
Elder Ryan S Alba
No comments:
Post a Comment