Dear Family:
Its been another good week out here in Mankessim Ghana! Today I received two more packages a green one and a US mail one so thank you so much!!! Oh and another that came while writing this. Oh and Elisa's too. I also received more letters so keep them coming! As I said we get mail and everything every Monday, so keep them coming!
This week was just a good week! No really big experiences, but just a good week to teach, learn, think, and work. Sorry the last letter was kind of short. It was longer, but the email did not fully send. So I will talk about some stuff from then and this week.
So what was deleted from last weeks email: I have started to use, maybe only used it twice, a teaching technique that I like and seems to kind of work. So with an investigator who has a testimony of and believes Joseph Smith, scriptures, prophets, etc. but is struggling with something else. We help them by explaining more and in depth the teaching they are struggling with. We answer questions that they have and try and help them with their concern. If their concern is still evident, then I turn to sec 68 of D&C and read the scripture about what a prophet says is scripture. And then read the scripture about do not fear for I the Lord am with thee. This helps bring the teachings back to the basic foundation of the persons testimony i.e. Joseph Smith, scriptures, prophets, etc. and helps them see that it is the will of God, has been taught to us by a prophet, and is now scripture for us. It helps put the concept right back on the persons foundation and helps them to come to accept the teaching. It's kind of cool because it puts all on the investigator to decide whether its true or not.
I think that is basically all that was deleted from last week except for fun stuff that I'll talk about at the end so now on to this past week:
As i said nothing really big or miraculous occurred this week, but it was still a really good week. We taught about 36 lessons this week and have some really good investigators. Many seemed to be prepared by our Heavenly Father to hear the message. They love and absorb the lessons and teachings. I see many possibilities for baptism in the near future, but we will have to wait and see. Though the lessons go really well and they are keeping commitments, we are having a harder time getting them to church. It's amazing how you can bare a powerful, spirit packed testimony and have it touch the person, yet they choose not to do anything about it. Many are right there ready for baptism, but need to come to church because the three times before baptism rule. But I pray that that will change. Thus far it looks as though we will have 1 of the 2 baptized on Saturday. Neither came to church on Sunday, but the one was because there was a family emergency so he couldn't make it. Elder Bunker and I feel that the other should be moved back to the Christmas baptism. The one that will be this week is a 14 year old boy whose brother was baptized just before I came. He is very shy and hardly speaks to us. It has been hard to work with him because of how shy he is but we've been able to manage. One of our last meetings with him he would not talk at all. Finally I said, "Jonas I used to be shy like you. But Jonas we are your friends and are here to help you. You can talk to us because we are your friends." I said, "You have a great older brother here who has shown forth a good example for you to follow." I then talked about Jason and how great of an older he has been to me. While I talked about Jason I had to fight back the tears. Jas, I miss you bro but your letters are awesome keep sending me them!!!!
Now for some fun stuff! Today we went to Elmina castle for our zone P-day activity. It was a really cool place! I also got a book to help me learn Twi better so I can develop the gift of tongues:)
I have eaten a lot of different stuff since I have come and still have lots I need to try. Things I like: are contonbrei stew, FuFu, RedRed, ball floats, fan ice (ice cream), fried rice and chicken, etc. Stuff I have tried: goat, fish head, part of pig but not to sure what part, bad Fufu, and I can't think of what else. I am taking care of myself though! Our water is always pure, I always take my doxy, I'm exercising am looking pretty lean, all in good health. But dad I think you were inspired to fast for my health this past Sunday. When I read that I really got a teary eyed and felt the Holy Ghost. On Friday, I started getting a cough, don't freak out I'm totally fine now. But yeah I started getting a small cough and lasted all of Sunday. But today I really do feel so much better and am totally fine! So don't be worried, don't be scared, I AM FINE! But truly thank you for fasting for that! This is for me and I hope for all of you a testimony builder of the power of the fast! Thanks Dad!
Jason, I've seen a fish coffin!!!!!!!! Funerals are Huge thing here!!!
We'll Ive got to go! Know that I love you all and miss you lots!!!!! During this Christmans season I am thinking a lot about all of you!! Christmas won't be the same, but still will be awesome! Count down 19 days before phone call:)
Love your Son and Brother,
Elder Ryan S. Alba
P.S. Hey Dad
No comments:
Post a Comment