Sunday, December 19, 2010

December 13, 2010

Dear Family:

Today is transfer news day!!! I have made it to my first transfer, only 16 left! We haven't found out yet who's going where and everything but like I said, here you stay in your areas for a long time so I am 98% sure my comp. and I are staying put. You can be in the same area for up to 9 months or so, so I'm not going anywhere too soon. Which I am glad about! I like my area, my comp., investigators, and everything. Like I said we don't really know what will occur till about 4-5 pm, but a lot of changes will probably occur in our zone and district. I'll let you know the changes next week.

So Christmas!!!!!! Only 12 more days!!! I am so excited!! As for the phone call, I will call you. The phones here run on a pay as you go system so what the missionaries are supposed to do is pay for a phone chip and have it for a two hour phone call or so and I will call you. I'm not to sure what time yet, we are sheduled to have a baptism that day and so I'm not to sure yet. Most likely I will call the night before and let you know what time. I am so EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I honestly can't wait!

So the week in review:

The packages I got last week were actually from you (the jerky, carmel, and soup), Elisa's, and two from molly. The other ones you sent I will probably get next week! I am looking forward to that one!

So the start of this week my comp. and I got like a stomach bug. Don't worry all is well now. But now I am fine and back in fighting shape. In fact, I feel like I have become skinnier out here. I can't really tell because I can't weigh myself but It looks like I am. I am developing my African body. Everyone here has no body fat and is just lean. I think that the same thing is beginning to happen to me. I'll come back really trim and toned:)

The baptism unfortunately did not happen. So the boy like I said was really shy and really would not talk to us. The interview went fine, but he had many concerns. Our DL tried to help him and encourage him but the boy still decided not to be baptized. It was disappointing especially because he would never talk to us when we taught. We'll just have to see what happens from here. But we do have 3 set for christmas! And all three hopefully and should go through so that's exciting! We have some really good investigators right now. We just need them to come to church!!! They believe and want to learn more, but Sunday attendance, which we teach a lot, is harder. Sunday is their "one day" that they get to rest and get things done. The rest of the time they are selling or preparing to sell at the market. One of our investigators is named Bro. Davies. He is an older man in his 60 and is a great guy and investigator. He truly believes and keeps his promises and committments. When we teach it's more him explaining to us what he read and he understands everything perfectly. We just have to add a little here and there, but he just understands and believes everything. He has said he will be baptized and will come to church, which is awesome. I think he will take a little more time just because his wife had a stroke a few years ago and is not quite 100% yet. He spends his days helping here and just being there if she needs something so church might be a little harder. In addition to him we have some really good investigators. I pray everyday that our investigators will continue strong!!

My companion is Elder Bunker. He is from the Alpine area.

This week we have continued to work hard. We are teaching a lot each week, we had about 42 lessons this week! Things are really going good, we just need more people to come to church and all will be perfect! I'm doing great! My health is good, my comp. is an awesome guy and we are becoming good friends, the area is cool. I'll tell you about the area. It's pretty much a giant market! Everyone works at the market. The homes are kind of around the market and on the outskirts of town. We aren't by the ocean, but we see it alot when we go to Cape Coast on Mondays which is about 45 minutes from where we are. But we also see it when we go to Salt Pond which is about 15 minutes away. Out side of the town it is little more "jungley" but not really, it just looks way cool. It's hard to describe but its cool.

Fun/interesting things: I have meet plenty of famous people here in Ghana. Ok, so maybe not famous but they have famous names- Fidel Castro(Recent Convert), Michael Jackson(Recent convert), Mother Teresa (one of our investigators), John Taylor (boy in the branch), Bejamin Bwatin (Sounds like Benjamin Button), Charly Brown, another guy who's name sound like Charles Barkley. Just to name a few:) We do have a washing machine, not that great but it gets the job done. I have been taught how to hand wash but as long as I have a machine I'm using it. Peanut butter is my staple food. I eat the ones you send me and then there is a lady in one of the other zones who makes it. It's pretty good not quite the real stuff but its not bad.

Last thought. One of the things that I truly have loved thus far is how much you learn out here on the mission. My knowledge of the gospel has truly increased so much since I have been out. Personal study is one of my most favorite parts of my day. I have read "Our search for happiness" and "Our heritage" already and am now reading and studying gospel principles. I continue to read the Book of Mormon too and I'm in Helaman 5 right now. I'll let you know when I finish gosple principles cause then I will start "Jesus the Christ". One thing I love is thinking about what I'm studying and then thinking about it. So many thoughts come to my mind and I know that it is the Holy Ghost teaching me. I came up with an awesome thought yesterday during my study, but my time is almost up so next time I will share it.

Well I love you and miss you all!!

Love your son and brother,

Elder Ryan. S. Alba

No comments:

Post a Comment