Monday, April 11, 2011

April 11, 2011

Dear Family:

How is everything going back on the home front? Things are going great out here in Sunyani!! This week has been very eventful and action packed so I will just dive right in:)

I bought some really cool things thus far since I have been up here: Some wooden elephants, a miniature chief stool, kentay ties and scripture bags, some sweet bracelets, some watches, and then some African paintings that come on fabric and roll up nicely! The only other things I want are some more wood carvings, some more of the fabric paintings, a couple of cutlasses, and a drum! Don’t worry my bags won’t be too heavy. If there are somethings you guys want let me know!

So my week in review:

Our investigator continues to keep on keeping on and is getting ready for his baptism! We challenged him to memorize the Articles of Faith and he already memorized the first 6! It is amazing! He didn’t come to church this week so he will need to come next week in order to be ready for his baptism. We went today and visited him and he said that he went to a different church on Sunday that is why he didn’t come. We talked about and reviewed what he needs to do to prepare for baptism and how he would have to leave his church. We taught very tactfully and but were very plain with him. He understood and said that he would do what was needed to do and would continue to pray. I have no doubt that he will receive an answer, make the change, and be baptized next week!

We went and visited our investigator and we talked to her about how last time she said she would pray about being baptized; she still hasn’t come to church so she won’t be ready for next week. Anyway, we asked her about it she received and answer or not. She said she had and felt no different. She doesn't want to do it right now. We were sad and let down but we taught her the Doctrine of Christ. Truly the Holy Ghost guided our words! It was a very powerful lesson! She felt the Spirit and said she wanted to be baptized. We went back the next time and she wanted to feed us and wasn’t wanting a lesson. It seems like she only sees us now as her white friends but we will see. We will hopefully get her to change!

The next experience this week truly once again helped me to know that the Holy Ghost will guide your words and help you in any situation. We went to teach one of our investigators named Josephine and she is beginning to become serious. She started out just kind of being our friend and the person we would buy meat pies from but has begun to change and show interest. Anyway we had given her a BOM and then went to explain more about it and everything on this particular visit. Well her friend from the another church came right when we began. He picked up the BOM and looked at it and then said he wanted one. I thought sweet! We gave him a copy and then he asked us what our belief was on after death. Immediately I knew the guy just wanted to Bible Bash. We began to tell him about how that would take time to explain, maybe we could meet with him and discuss it with him. He said can’t you tell me small. I said ok we will tell you small. I proceeded to explain about the spirit world, judgment/resurrection, and then the three kingdoms of glory; just telling him briefly about each enough just to give him the idea. He understood, and then proceeded to ask me to read in Luke 16 about a parable to Jesus gave (you can look it up); but basically it talks about the Spirit world and the man took that to mean the Heaven and Hell. I then began to explain that to the man and honestly what I was saying was not me but the Spirit. I had read this passage years ago but honestly didn’t even remember this account. That is why this story is so amazing.! I explained it and taught in a way that he could understand. Before He was trying to get us to cross our words but I was able to teach in a way that addressed his questions. He just sat and listened. I could tell he understood what I taught and didn’t want to fight it because it was true. He then turned to the our investigator and asked if she was going to join us. She said she was still learning and would visit with us, but wasn’t sure yet if she would join us yet. It was a powerful lesson. The Spirit really helped me!

On Saturday we were teaching this old. 70+ lady. We were teaching her about the Restoration and about the Priesthood. We had taught this already but we can only teach her on Saturdays because she is a nurse at the Hospital. Anyway we were teaching her about the priesthood and she said, "Wait do you have that priesthood?" We said yes. And she said, "You can bless the sick?" And we said well yes why? She said, "Well let’s say someone is old, has diabetes, and some other afflictions can bless them?" And we said yes we could. She said, "Elders you have come for 3 weeks and haven’t blessed me? Why?" We explained they have to ask us and how we don’t advertise this, etc. We explained the blessing to her, the oil and God’s will etc., and then proceeded to give her a blessing. Elder Speechly anointed and I gave her a blessing. After I finished she was in tears! It was a sweet experience! She then sweetly said “Elders you can leave the oil for me?” We smiled and explained to her we couldn’t. It was a really tender experience!

This week we had interviews as well. Pres. came up to Sunyani for interviews. He first talked to the ten of us. He told us about how the mission fasted for the goal that we have as a mission but in particular they fasted for us here in Sunyani. He said they knew all of us were struggling to find family (husband and wife) to baptize and so the whole mission fasted for us. It was really powerful and the Spirit was ever present while he talked about that. I felt like all of us would accomplish the goal because of this. We have until the Pres. finishes his Mission to accomplish the goal. He said each of us were here for a reason. He talked about how he knew we were all great missionaries and how he trusted each of us! He said Satan is working hard in this area to try and prevent our investigators from hearing/accepting the gospel, but we could and would overcome it. He then told us that he would ask each of us what we wanted from our missions in the interviews?

Then he proceeded with interviews. I went last. It went great! We talked about the area and how I was liking it, etc. Then He asked me what I wanted from my mission? I said I want to serve the Lord 100%, do all he asks of me, and become more like Him while I serve. I said a mission is the best time to become like Him and that is what I wanted. He said, “Elder Alba you get it!” ?...This is probably my last interview with Pres. Sabey when it is time for interviews again it will be with Pres. Shulz. But it was great!!!!! Pres. Sabey has been great and has taught me so much! So will President Shulz!

Well family I must go. Know that I love you all!

Love your son and brother

Elder Ryan S. Alba

No comments:

Post a Comment