Dear Family:
Hey everyone!!!! How is it going? What's new? How is everything going back home? How does the house look this week?:)
Glad you liked the picture! We were on our way back last week from going on splits with Swedru and we saw that truck and something moving around in the back, and out popped up a monkey! It was pretty cool And for the AP gas station, that is a gas station on the way back from Kumasi to Cape Coast!
This past week was a very busy week for us! We went out to Takoradi on Tuesday to attend a District Meeting out there and then we came back and picked up the Kumasi/Sunyani zone leaders from the bus station for Zone Council. So on Wednesday we had Zone Council! It went really well. We instructed on the importance of making District Meetings effective, and how we need to also utilize the time that we have when we go on splits! I talked about the point that every time I go on splits, at the end of the evening I let the companionship close for the day, and then I go ahead and tell them things that I observed. I help them see areas that they are doing really well, as well as areas they could improve on. But after I have done that, I ask them what I can do better, what I can improve on. It is funny sometimes to see their reaction. Usually they think that splits are just a time to learn from me, but that is not the case. I enjoy splits a lot because it is a time for me to learn as well. I have become a better Missionary from the things that I have learned from others. Every time that I go on splits, I learn something, even it is from a new missionary. I always learn something. So we helped the Zone Leaders to learn that they too can learn, and that as their Zone members see them, humbling themselves, they respect their leader more and it creates a better relationship with the leaders and those that they lead. We also talked about the importance of writing President. Letters and things like that. The instruction went really well! The rest of the meeting went well.
Since we created those new Zones up in Kumasi, we had 10 elders come down from there, so to help with cost, Elder Hair and I drove them all back up in the mission van. It was a lot of fun to return back to Kumasi! I never realized how much I miss that place! It was fun to see all the old places and all the people/Elders up there as well. We stayed with the Zoll's at their apartment while we were there. They were great to us and really were so kind to take us in while we were there. We stayed there from Wednesday evening to Saturday morning! They are so great and fun to be with! I missed them, but enjoyed the time we were there with them! So while we were up there, we went on splits on Thursday and Friday. I worked with the Elders in Nkransa on Thursday, and then on Friday we worked with the Elders in Kwamo. Both went really well! It is good to see our Mission working hard and getting ready for the Mission split! We still don't know too much about what is happening, but we do know a little.... We are just trying to help get everything ready for them, and try and make the split as smooth as possible! It will be interesting to see all that will happen though. I have no idea where I will be, but as I have thought about it, I will be happy with either place. I will go wherever I am needed! It's not about me, it is about the Lord and his purpose, so wherever He needs me is where I will go!
Driving has been going really well! I think that for the most part I have it down! I drove all the way from Kumasi to Cape Coast on our way back on Saturday! I did really well, and it was great practice for me! You guys would be impressed:) Amazing how on mission you learn so much, you gain different qualities and abilities that make you a better person. Who would have thought that driving a clutch would be one?
That was pretty much our week! It was busy, but it was a lot of fun! This past Sunday, as you all know, I hit 18 months on mission!!! Isn't that crazy! I can't even believe it! I always looked at missionaries who were at this point in amazement thinking, "Man, one day I will be there," and now I am here and I am thinking, "Wait, 18 months all ready?" But I know that my time is drawing near, and that I just need to make the best of the time that I have left! I am very excited though!!!! Only 6 months and I will be stepping off the plane into SLC! It will be great!!! I am excited to see what the future has in store for the next chapter of my life. But as I have looked back on the last 18 months, it amazes me all that I have learned and how much I have changed! I know that this is exactly where I need to be, and that this is where the Lord needs me to be! I have had so many wonderful experiences, seen so many people's life change, and even seen the change occur in my own life! I really hope and pray that I am becoming who the Lord needs me to be, not just now, but for the future! As I have reread my patriarchal blessing, and pondered what it says, I have learned so much about myself. I have seen who I was before this life, the great potential I have for the future, and the promised blessings that lie beyond the grave. As I have been out here on mission, it has taught me who I really am. I have seen how I have served other people, as I have cared about what is happening in their life, then I have experienced the greatest joy. As I have seen the light the gospel is to the world, the joy it brings into the life of others, I have come not only to appreciate it and believe it, but I have come to love it and know that is the gospel of salvation/exhalation. This past Sunday I was reading in the Bible dictionary (Bible dictionary has some really cool things in it) and I looked up "Election." Of course it talked about "Calling and Elections" but it also talked about what is called "an election of grace." It says that this election was granted in the Pre-mortal life and it has to do with a person being able to be in the right place, at the right time, and right situation to learn, hear, and believe the gospel. I know that this was an election our whole family has. We were blessed and fortunate enough to be born into the church, to receive the blessings of the gospel our whole life, not just for part of it! We were valiant spirit children of our Heavenly Father who were blessed to receive such an election. As I look back, I can see that before mission, I kind of took the church for granted. But I have come to learn, love, and understand it so much more since I have been out here on my mission. Sometimes as I look back on my mission, I can't help but see the impact it is having on me. I often wonder if others are getting as much from my service as I am! I know that they are, and am grateful for this "refiner's fire" that is molding me, shaping me, and helping me to reach my full potential; it is helping me become like the Savior and our Heavenly Father.
I love you all so much! I appreciate all that you have done for me these past 18 months! I know that you are making so many sacrifices on my behalf and I am truly grateful for them! Continue to pray for me! Continue to show your love and support, and before you know it, we will be together at the SLC airport!:)
Love your son and brother
Elder Ryan S. Alba
No comments:
Post a Comment