Dear Family:
Hi everyone! Happy Thanksgiving!!!!! I can't believe that it is already time for Thanksgiving!!!!! Time just keeps flying by! This week was one of the fastest weeks thus far on mission! The exciting thing is that in about a month it is time for Christmas!!!! And that means my phone call!!! It will be so much fun! But Thanksgiving for us will be pretty much a normal day. Here they don't celebrate it, but I will celebrate it! I am thinking instead of Turkey and Mashed potatoes, maybe fufu with cat or dog... I haven't decided which one yet! I'll let you know which I choose haha! Jk jk I'll probably buy fried rice and chicken, my staple food here in Ghana!
This week was a super busy week! The first part of the week I was on splits with Elder Briggs. That was a lot of fun! He is one of my good friends out here on mission and so we had a fun time working together. We worked on getting everything ready and in place for transfers up here so that way it go smooth and easy for everyone.
So on Tuesday we had a combined district meeting with my zone and I took the time explaining the new rules and expectation from Pres. and also instructed on Obedience/sustaining our leaders. It went a lot better than I thought it would. I knew that some of the changes the missionaries would not be exactly happy or thrilled about, but they reacted better than I thought. I really relied on the Spirit to help me express all the changes in a good way and to be able to help them see the need to be obedient to the new changes. And the Spirit really did help. I just spoke the words that came to my mind and really conveyed everything in good way. I used the super lemons as part of my instruction on obedience and talked about how the new rules and expectations are a lot like the candy; at first it is sour and bitter, to the point that we want to spit it out and throw it on the ground. But if we would be faithful and endure, we would taste of the sweet blessing that would come because of our obedience. It went really well and I felt like the words just came from the Spirit and were what they needed to hear. I have a good zone, and know that they will rise to the new expectation.
Transfers went really well. We didn't have a whole lot happen in our zone, just three changes, but that means that next transfer a lot will happen in our zone. Everything went smoothly and according to planned. My new companion is Elder Hailemariam! He is from Ethiopia and is a really great guy! He is very easy to get a long with and will be great to work with. We have a lot in common and a lot talk about which is great. He has been out for 20 months, but this is his first time as a zone leader. He will go home in two transfers in March. It will be interesting to see what happens. I could stay here in Kumasi the whole time with him until he goes home, or I could leave before then. I don't know what will happen, but I really hope that I stay the full time with him because then I will train another zone leader here at least before I leave Kumasi. And by that point I will only have maybe 3-4 transfers left. I really enjoy Kumasi a lot and hope that I will stay here for a long time, but we will see what the Lord has in store for me.
This past week we went to go visit one of my recent converts. We sat down and he shared with us and experience that he had earlier in the week. He told us that a friend of his came to him and brought a bunch of anti-mormon material to him, showed him some videos and everything. But He was not phased by it. He stood firm and kept bearing powerful testimonies to the guy. He was standing firm on what he knew was true and was even able to get the guy to ask him questions about the church. The man stopped bothering him and left. I was so proud of him. He is still learning all about our church and what are beliefs are, but he stood fast and immovable in his testimony of the truth. It was really cool to hear of his experiences and how he was able to combat the wilds of the devil. We then spent time going through and addressing some of the things the guy had told him just to clear up any misunderstandings and to erase it all from his mind. It was a great lesson and was a testimony I will not forget.
We also went on splits the past week. I trained on of our new district leaders, Elder Kinikini from Utah. We had a good time and had some really powerful lessons. When I became a zone leader, Elder Adams the AP said "Pray for Miracles when you go on splits, and they will happen." Every time since then I have done so, and I have had some of the best lessons I have ever had. I feel like it really helps me teach by the Spirit and listen to the thoughts that come to my mind. I have noticed that I am getting a lot better at teaching by the Spirit. I just am able to see the situation, open my mind, and then open my mouth. I don't think about what I am going to say, I just start speaking and the words come, directed by the spirit! It was a great day and a good learning opportunity!
This week we were also very busy with Bibiani! We are still right on track to baptize them on Dec. 10. It looks like it will maybe 22 instead of 30, but still that in itself is amazing. We went out there and met with them more on a one-on-one setting to see how each one was understanding the teachings and what they had come to know is true. We went through and reviewed with them and asked them question to evaluate their progress. As I sat down with each one, I felt their Spirit and love for this gospel shine forth. Those that I had wondered if they really understood what we were teaching, were often the ones that knew the teachings the best. The best part was hearing them bare their testimonies. Many have waited for 5-6 years, not even knowing if or when they would be baptized. As I heard them bare their testimonies, I knew at that moment, better than at any other, that the Lord prepares His people. He prepares their hearts and minds to accept the restored gospel. They have put all of their faith, all of their trust and dedication into the hands of God! And now the Lord is blessing them for their efforts by providing this chance for them! We found a river near the town to baptize them, there is a shoulder width path that leads to the river and then it opens up right at the mouth of the river. It is what I imagine the Waters of Mormon were like. I got to test out the water, make sure that it would be ok for the baptism which was awesome! Everyone here is scared of the water, so I gladly accepted the task to test it out:) But these people are amazing! I am so honored to be able to work with them!
There is so much that I have to be grateful for in my life! I am grateful for the Savior, for his sacrifice that he made for me! I am grateful for a Loving Heavenly Father who found himself in the midst of intelligences and because of His profound love for us provided this wonderful chance to each one of us! I am grateful for the Holy Ghost for the guidance that it gives to me each and everyday. I am grateful for this chance I have to serve the Lord, to dedicate these two years of my life to serving Him! It is an amazing opportunity and one that has truly changed my life! And most of all I am grateful for you, my family. For the love and sacrifice that you show to me! I don't know what I did to be blessed with such a wonderful family! I love you all so much! Thank you for what you do for me!
I have to go, but until next week...
Love your son and brother
Elder Ryan S. Alba
No comments:
Post a Comment