Monday, June 13, 2011

June 13, 2011

Dear Family:


Hi everyone!!!! How is everything going? What’s new? What’s going on back home in the good old SLC? Things here continue to go great!


This past week was kind of a hard week for us. We had lots of failed appointments and contacting was a little unfruitful, but we kept pressing on and doing all we could to do our very best! I know we just have to keep working hard and doing what we are supposed to and then we will begin to find success. Though it is hard at times, you just have to keep going and the Lord will provide a way. Hopefully this coming week is a little better! So this past week we went to go see our young investigator again she said that her father enjoyed our little chat and enjoyed what he read in the pamphlet. He had her ask us for a copy of the Book of Mormon and we had one with us so we gave it to him. Then on Sunday we went again to meet her. Her father was also there. He came and greeted us and told us that he had read from the intro.-all the testimonies and all the way to 1 Nephi 10. He told us in detail everything he had read all about the story and the brass plates and then thanked us and left. He also said that he wants to read the whole Book of Mormon and then talk to us about it. It was really cool and kind of funny. He had loved everything, but didn’t really want to sit and talk with us. So we taught his daughter. We taught about baptism and asked her to pray about it. We think that her father wants to just learn things on his own so I pray that the Book of Mormon will really help him. I know it has converting power, but doing it on your own is hard. We shall find out though!


We met with a couple of others this past week and talked to them about meeting and discussing with their families about baptism. Both of them did not seem interested in it. Not because they were scared about it, but they doubted that it would really do anything to help. They just kept saying it will take time and that they would just pray. The entire time I just kept thinking, YOU are the ones that are not ready yet. If you were ready, you would do anything to get baptized despite the situation. I was just grateful that we had not baptized them yet, but we will keep working with them and try to help them really have the desire.


Our other brother is doing good still. We are waiting for his wife to return from travel and then we can teach her. I think once we teach her and get her going that they all will baptize but that will be in a month or so. But he continues to be a missionary to all his friends and is doing great. We will meet with him and his friend Wednesday!


Another investigator is now beginning to take steps to baptism. She told her family and despite their displeasure she said she has to do what she knows is true. So hopefully this coming Sunday she will come to church.


I got a letter from the Samsons the other day. I opened it up and it had Lito’s funeral program and a letter from them. I balled my eyes out as I read it, but was grateful for it. The picture of Lito was a great one and I have it hanging on the wall. I know that he is watching out for me, as is Grandpa and Grandma! I really need their help right now as we are trying to find people to teach and everything, but I know they will. They are busy helping the work on the other side, but I know they will help. I haven’t had any dreams or anything about them at all since I have been out. I wish I would but nothing. Maybe one day, but I know they are there!


My son (companion) and I are doing great. He is a really nice, humble guy and will do anything I ask him to. I am trying to serve him and really help him prepare for the rest of his two years. I hope I am doing a good job. We get along just fine! He doesn’t talk much, but he is great! Right now we are just working on remembering the order of the principles in each lesson and working on his teaching skills, but once he gets that down he’ll be great! Like I said last week, when you train it is all about the person you train and helping him and then the work will take care of itself.


Well family I have to go! Continue to pray for me and pray that the work will pick up! I have faith that the Lord will hear our prayers and that a way will be I love you!


Love your son and brother


Elder Ryan S. Alba

No comments:

Post a Comment