Dear Family:
Sorry I could not email yesterday. As Elder Bunker said in his email to you, I was transferred yesterday to Fiabre, Sunyani. It is the furtherest north that the mission goes as of right now. The area has only been open for 2 transfers and even it is just a "unit" right now. That means that there are not many members in the area, less than ten, and that it is not a branch yet. My new companion is Elder Speechly from Ogden. He is a way cool guy and will a be great companion. He and I are both new to the area, we are joining two other missionaries in the area. This place is really neat. We haven’t really gone out to teach yet. Today is our P-day since yesterday we traveled 8-9 hours by bus to get here, but the work should be great. We are going to have to do a lot of contacting to find people. The other two missionaries here are Elder Hair (Illinios) and Elder Omini (Nigeria).
So, for Sundays we meet at our apartment with the people, investigators, and one member. We are in charge of the talks, the lessons, and everything. It will be great to really help get this place up and going and maybe into a branch. We need five Melchizedek Priesthood holders and 20 active members in order to be a branch. It is going to be hard work, but hopefully, we will make it happen. The goal changes for us. We do not need to seal a family since we are so far away, instead we just need to baptize a husband and wife. As I said though we are going to have to do a lot of contacting, so please pray for me.
The area is really nice though. The city is huge and is pretty modern. It is way cool! The place we stay at is brand new, nice, and big apartment, since we meet there on Sundays. I am excited and believe that I will be here for a while. It was very surprising to hear that I was leaving. Elder Speechly actually texted us and told me before the zone leaders did. It was funny, but it was surprising because transfers are next week, but we had to leave a week early because they closed the Ivory Coast mission because of all that is going on there. So all that is let in Ivory Coast are the Ivorians. So we got 3 of their missionaries and so a lot of changes happened yesterday. The funny thing is that all my clothes were being soaked for hand washing and so after church we went home, cleaned them, and got them dry just in time. I got to say good-bye to all the branch, they were sad to see me leave. I got teary eyed saying good bye to Bro. Davies, but it was sweet. They are stilling having the baptism on Saturday, five candidates so as of now I will have had I think 12 baptisms. Here in Sunyani we are really trying to get the church started here so we are starting from nothing and building it so that one day, maybe in the next five years it will be ward, maybe. I am excited to be part of this unique chance here in Sunyani. It will be great.
So now for my last week in review in Mankessim.
Last Monday we had Elder Gonzalez (one of the pres. of the 70), Sitati, Dixon, and Bishop McMullin come and talk to us. It was a great opportunity to have so many of the Lord's leaders there. Bishop Mcmullin and Elder Gonzalez spoke and their wives. It was really great. I let the Mexican race down though!!!!! I was thinking leading up to it that I hoped Elder Gonzalez would speak Spanish to me. When we all went to shake all their hands, Elder Gonzalez said, "Elder Alba, how are you? Do you speak Spanish?” I said "Mas o menos". He then said "De donde eres?" I said "Eres de Utah" He said very nice and I continued down the line. I thought that was sweet! Using my Spanish skills in Ghana! I started thinking about it and realized I should have said “Soy de Utah.” I was so embarrassed! I thought Chacha would be disappointed. My Spanish kind of is leaving me a little. It is being replaced small with Fenti and Twi. The other day I said "Ochina" which means tomorrow and thought "Oh man that was in Spanish." I then realized wait that was Fenti. It was very funny as well.
This week I also started what i am calling "Elder Alba's Bible revival". I started last Tuesday reading the Bible Starting with Genesis and am going to Revelations and will finish at the start of August. I figured 10 pages a day. I am also reading Jesus the Christ as well and it has been great. I am in Chapter 7 because I took a break and finished the Book of Mormon, but have started again.
Bro. Davies continues to be solid. He has read almost all religious books that we have. He is way solid and is in Alma 30 right now. The other day he told us Alma 26 perfectly. We taught him about the Aaronic priesthood which he holds. I taught about how it was the priesthood of Repentance and really saw while I was teaching how it truly is the priesthood of Repentance. Every action in the Aaronic priesthood is about Repentance. From Home Teaching and Ministering of Angels to the Sacrement and Baptism. It all is about baptism. It was a great teaching moment for me and him.
So here is Ghana, all are named after one of the seven days of the week. Look it up and see what yours is. If I figured right Dad- Kojo; Monday, Mom-Mabina; Tuesday, not sure on Elisa, Melissa is a either ama; Saturday or yaa Thursday; Jason is yaw Thursday; Jenny is Esi Sunday; and I am Yaw Thursday. They have a guys list of names for the days and a girls list for the names. Check it out.
Right before I left we met a really cool guy named Patrick. We had some great lessons with him on the Restoration in which the Spirit was so strong and he said he would soon join the church. It was really neat and helped me see the power of the first lesson.
So tell Melissa the reason for the hair cut is because that is all you can do here. No one can cut hair like in the US, so that is all you can do. Oh well:)
Oh and Jason will really like this. So up here somewhere they have a Monkey Sanctuary and there is all these monkeys and shrines at this place. I guess that when one dies they have a legit funeral for it and everything. I haven’t seen it yet (it is like an hour away) but we are going to try and see it.
Well my time is up! Sorry for how short it was! But I love you all and am grateful for the love and support you show me! Continue to pray for me an I can't wait for the package! Another thing that would be nice is a Microfiber towel. It is paper thin and is easier to wash. But thank you for this package you sent. I will soon get it!
I love you all!
Love your son and brother,
Elder Ryan S. Alba
No comments:
Post a Comment