Wednesday, January 5, 2011

December 27, 2010

Dear Family:


The Internet today is incredible slow!!!! But you make do with what you got right? So the phone cut out right as I was saying I love You guys so i don’t know if you were able to hear it but I love you all so much and miss each of you dearly!


Nothing has really happened since the phone call but everything continues to be great. So I thought I would tell you more about some cool things we learned at the Christmas devotional. My Mission Pres. said that Elder Bednar told him that if someone truly wanted to know the atonement and

comprehend it better, they should read each scripture that says "one by one." It was pretty cool though and is something I want to do, but there is know way to search in the topical guide or anyway to search for it. So I will probably have to do that when I get home. But I have noticed more and more scriptures that say that so that's cool. Another cool thought reminded me of the quote that you sent me mom about the star in the nativity. Our Pres. said the same thing about how it was placed in a precious orbit and if God could do that it means he knows us and it should be a comforting feeling.


Another thought was about the wise men and the shepherds. They came at different times and brought different things. But that doesn't matter, what matters is they came. Likewise it doesn't matter for us either. The Lord wants us to come, doesn't matter what we bring, just that we come unto Him.


So as for the rest of Christmas. We went to a lady in the branches house, she is in her 50-60's and met with her and had dinner there with her and her family. It was really nice. We ate fufu, meat pies, and cake. It was really good. Haha not a traditional Christmas dinner but it was really good. I am actually starting to like most of the food now. Fufu is really good, kenka (don't know if that is spelled right but sounds like ken-k) is really good (it reminds me of tamales but just the maze dough stuff and you dipp kenka in soup). For dinner I usually eat rice or indo mie (top romen).


I truly have loved the letters, emails, and the packages full of goodies. They remind me of and make me feel like I am at home. I haven’t received Uncle Blaine’s letter yet. Mail through the actual mail service takes some how a long time. Ben Leinhardt sent me one on Halloween and I got it Christmas day. It takes a long time. Packages don't though but letters do. But the Pouch mail always makes it through fine. But like I said, I just love hearing from all of you. It makes me feel at home and helps me to recharge my batteries. Your words and encouragement is what keeps me going.


I'm doing really well. I hope that you could tell from the phone call. Yeah some days are a little hard, but that just part of the work. Hearing from you, seeing the blessings, seeing the changes in my life, feeling of God's love, that is what makes this whole experience worth it. I know that I am to be here for a specific purpose and reason. They say your mission is the best two years of your life. I say it is the best two years for your life. Yes you are teaching and saving souls which is awesome, but as I think about it, a mission really is for the missionary. It is a refiners fire melting you into your true potential. But I truly do love and appreciate all that you have and continue to do for me. Being out here I have come to see that I have some how taken it all for granted. But know that I am eternally in debted to all of you.


Sincerely your son and brother,


Elder Ryan S. Alba


P.S. Had to hand wash my clothes for the first time yesterday. It is harder than it looks and takes a lot of time:)


Also, because the internet was so slow today that is why the email was somehow short this time. Sorry!


Love,

Elder Ry Guy


No comments:

Post a Comment